Sunday, September 6, 2009

Spiritual Soda

Cutting sugar means cutting soda. All soda. Even the elegant brands (Dry, Fentimans, etc.) have cane sugar, so it's time for me to invent a substitute.

Blending this need with the witchcraft that's been making so much sense of late, I came up with the following initial foray into spiritual soda bottling. I've now passed some off as a perfect 30th birthday gift and watched them achieve their intended effects. (I also had a lovely day tweaking the combinations - taste tests over the relative grace of one glass over another with perfect Seattle rain accompaniment.)

Grace
lavender
chamomile
rose congou
fresh seltzer

Power
dragon weed
mutah white
honey
fresh seltzer

Peace
scullcap
chamomile
honey
fresh seltzer

Dragon Killer
yerba mate
dragon weed
rose congou
agave nectar
fresh seltzer

I make distilled teas of each herb, adding honey/agave to the earthiest while hot, then chill the jars and mix and match the potions, using about 1 part potion to 4 parts seltzer from my amazing seltzer machine. Mason jars hold the carbonation surprisingly well.

For the birthday gift incarnation, I also threw in a little jar of my perfect chocolate pudding as a potion for pleasure.

No comments:

Post a Comment