Sunday, September 6, 2009

Safe Moroccan Chicken Tagine

I bought a marvelous tagine in Marrakesh, from Mohammed Fish n' Chips, a toothless fiery pusher-of-all-things, 3+ years ago. It's served as all kinds of things since then (holder of earrings, kitchen secrets, and most recently a 45 Sculpture), but not once per its dedicated purpose. It was a chilly wet day here in Seattle, so I decided it was time to test its abilities. Proof positive: it's not a decorative souvenir - it's an efficient and elegant cooking vessel.

I based my ingredients solely on what was around, so it became another purple meal. I imagine I'll try hundreds of variations on this theme now that I know how quick and satisfying tagines can be.

1 chicken breast
turmeric
cumin
cinammon
salt
pepper
yellow carrots
carrots
1 baked purple potato
1/2 shallot, sliced
dates
olive oil
honey

Heat oven to 375. Cut chicken into cubes and roll in spices - I just sprinkled each liberally straight into a bowl, shook it around, and coated the chicken. Brown on one side, uncovered in the oven. Turn over, cover in water, add vegetables (save for the potato), cover, and bake for about 30 minutes. Remove lid, add sliced baked potato and some honey, and cook uncovered for another 10 minutes. Stir and serve.

Thanks to the Itinerant Eater for reminding me to eat by my wanderlust.

1 comment:

  1. I didn't know shallots were on the menu: excellent news! I can't believe that tagine has actual cooking chops: I had mentally relegated it to a life of jewelry display/storage, absolutely.

    Those purple Peruvian potatoes go along way a towards bringing the fun to any meal. Now, you know what else you need to complete this? Purple carrots! They exist. I ate one from a toothy but frankly delectable hippie guy at the farmer's market in Carroll Gardens who sang Purple Rain.

    What other foods do they eat at tops of continents like Morocco? Fish and reindeer to the north don't inspire (as food staples)...

    ReplyDelete